Friday, April 15, 2011

Turning Over a New Leaf

The art of gardening and the classic green thumb have been handed down for generations in my family. Both my grandmother and mother (not to mention all of my aunts) have both acquired it, spending countless hours in the spring, summer, and fall pruning their beautiful gardens. So with that said, you would think that art would have been passed on down to me, right? Sadly mistaken. From the time I entered college, my luck with plants has been nonexistent. Maybe it is my lack of really trying or the fact I forget they are even there, but every single time a live plant enters my home, it ends up dead.

Now that Bryan and I have purchased our new home, I seem to have taken on this "Suzie Homemaker" mentality that has sprouted a new desire to try my hand at gardening again! I have already planted my herb garden, and I'm in the midst of landscaping our front yard! Crape Myrtle (Be proud of me people. Knowing the name of a plant is a huge step for me!) and several other bushes and plants are in place, now we just have to wait for the river rock of my choice to arrive next week! Thanks to my handy hubby, the landscaping project came together quite quickly. Poor guy was so full of dirt and soil from pulling up sod along our driveway, that I literally made him shower outside with a sprinkler and hose (shorts on of course:)).


Along with all of our outside projects going on (Did I mention we are building a fence too?), we have gotten several inside projects done since we moved in. Painting Brody's room and the hallway is my next project. You would love our living room. It is my favorite room of the house. Take a peek.
Living Room (All the windows have bamboo shades.)
Isn't it wonderful?! I love the green I selected! Seriously made this open floor plan pop! To add to the look, I placed paint sample cards inside the spaces up on the clock with shades of color to coincide with the green hue on the wall. Quite clever, if I do say so myself. The rest of the house is a work in progress as far as painting goes, but this is some of our home so far.
The Dining Room
The Master Bedroom

The Foyer (I need to paint and add bamboo to the pot.)
The Kitchen (We want to add tile to the wall.)
I now realize what people mean when they say owning a home is a never-ending project! Oh the plans we have! Now if we just had the time and a little extra cash :) I think my creativity is wayyyy bigger than the budget. Oh well, in time it will come along!

No comments:

Post a Comment